“The Church loves all her children like a loving mother, but cares for all and protects with special affection those who are smallest and defenceless. This is the duty that Christ himself entrusted to the entire Christian community.”
(Apostolic Letter issued ‘motu proprio’ by the Supreme Pontiff Francis, 4 June 2016)
To promote a culture of safeguarding within the Archdiocese and reduce the risks of abuse and harm.
This policy applies to all parishes, ministries, and agencies under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Brisbane and to Associations of Christ’s Faithful or Public Juridic Persons which freely opt-in to its application and which enter into an agreement with the Archdiocese accordingly. The policy applies to all Archdiocesan workers (including clergy, religious, employees and volunteers).
National Catholic Safeguarding Standards
The Archdiocese adopts and adheres to the National Catholic Safeguarding Standards. The Standards apply to all parishes, ministries, and agencies under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop.
The Archdiocese has zero-tolerance for all forms of abuse and is committed to safeguarding everyone involved in its activities, ministries, and services. The safety and wellbeing of children and adults-at-risk is paramount.
- Safeguarding is a shared responsibility.
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- Prioritise the protection and best interests of children and adults-at-risk.
- Provide safe physical and online environments.
- Actively identify and manage safeguarding and abuse risks.
- Monitor compliance with safeguarding standards, policies, and procedures.
- Respond promptly and effectively to abuse concerns, suspicions, disclosures, complaints, reports, and incidents.
- Comply with all legal obligations to report suspected abuse and harm.
Non-compliance with this policy which seriously jeopardises the safety and wellbeing of others may be grounds for disciplinary action up to dismissal or termination of employment and reporting to authorities.
Document No.: AD16 ST01 Document Owner: Office for Safeguarding Services Version: November 2020 Review Date: November 2023
https://brisbanecatholic.org.au/safeguarding/ - Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility -
See also this video on safeguarding - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgkAZFkJkJg